We bring our authentic 30-player Balinese or 30-player Javanese gamelan instruments to every workshop! During this introduction to Indonesian music, participants will find out about the meaning of music within Indonesian culture, about the instruments, structure of the music and the playing techniques.
Under the skillful guidance of our workshop facilitator, participants will soon be able to play a vibrant, traditional piece of Indonesian gamelan music that may be used for a performance at the end of the workshop day.
This workshop is adapted to be suitable for students from Foundation Stage up to Key Stage Five.
- Develop knowledge and appreciation of music unique to another culture
- Learn how music is taught in Indonesia through memorization, mnemonics, phrasing and pulse
- Explore a pentatonic tonal soundscape that is not diatonic or at western pitch/temperament
- Learn a traditional piece of music
- Develop ability to work in an ensemble
Access and space requirements
This workshop requires:
- A hall, which MUST BE ON THE GROUND FLOOR with easy access for our van as the gamelan weighs 1.1 tonnes!
- The space will need to be at least 28 feet x 28 feet
Suggested length of sessions
Maximum 30 participants per group.
Foundation Stage: 20 minutes per session
Key Stage 1: 30 minutes per session
Key Stage 2: 1 hour per session
Key Stage 3: 1 hour per session
Key Stages 4 & 5: Half day/full day - please contact us.
£425 Full Day (maximum 4 hours)
£325 Half Day (maximum 3 hours)
Plus travel expenses and VAT.