This dynamic workshop is an introduction to the energetic style of West African drumming. It has proven to be very popular as Inspire-works provides 30 djembe drums to ensure 100% participation for each student. The djembe drum originates from West Africa, in particular Senegal, The Gambia and Mali, and has become Africa’s most popular drum due to its sonorous tonal qualities, hypnotic pulsating sound and the relative simplicity of its playing technique.
In this workshop, every participant will play a djembe for the full duration of the session and will learn a flamboyant traditional Senegalese piece of music that is an excellent practical introduction to African music. The piece is learnt aurally, as practised in Senegal, and creates opportunities for participants to improvise solos, respond to aural cues and develop their ensemble playing.
This workshop is adapted to be suitable for students from Foundation Stage up to Key Stage Five.
- Learn a traditional West African piece of music using djembes
- Enhance rhythmic and improvisational skills
- Develop listening skills
- Develop ability to work in an ensemble
- Develop confidence through performing to the school or parents*
*performance optional depending on preference of school or group
Access and space requirements
This workshop requires:
- A parking place for our van/car as close to the venue as possible
- A hall or large teaching room (preferably on the ground floor)
- 30 chairs in a semi-circle
- Our facilitator will need 1 hour to set up and 1 hour to pack away
Suggested length of sessions
Maximum 30 participants per group.
Foundation Stage: 20 minutes per session
Key Stage 1: 30 minutes per session
Key Stage 2: 1 hour per session
Key Stage 3: 1 hour per session
Key Stages 4 & 5: Half day/full day - please contact us.
£350 Full Day (maximum 5 hours)
£250 Half Day (maximum 3 hours)
Plus travel expenses and VAT.